Career – Quick Facts
Career Path: e.g. post-secondary, second year entry
Annual (Gross) Salary: e.g. $75,000 – $100,000+ CDN
Canadian Schools offering Pharmacy: e.g. UBC, U-Alberta, U-Toronto, U-Manitoba, U-Saskatchewan, U-Waterloo, Laval, U-Montreal, Memorial, Dalhousie
Common Job Fields: e.g. Retail, Hospital, Government, Industrial
1. What year did you graduate secondary school?
2. What is your current job title?
– Pharmacist, Associate-Owner
3. Where and for whom do you currently work for now?
– Shoppers Drug Mart (Cambie Village)
4. What inspired you to pursue your career?
– Had a good knack at the sciences and wanted to go into healthcare to help people and make a difference
5. What do you love about your career?
– Love becoming a huge part in making people’s lives better with proper medicine, good advice, and just lending an ear
6. Any negatives about your job to share?
– As an owner, I have lots of paperwork, haha
7. What characteristics are ideal for someone pursuing your career?
– You need to be approachable and willing to be comfortable with regular face-to-face contact. Also, a great dedication to continuing education (new stuff in medicine all the time!) and a positive attitude to contribute to a fun working environment.
8. What is the most rewarding part of your career?
– Having patients come back to update you on how great your recommendations and advice were after he/she listened and actually trusted your expertise
9. What courses would you recommend to take during highschool to help in your career path?
– Math11/12, Chemistry 11/12, Biology 11/12, Physics11, English11/12, and optional Calculus12 to help prep you for post-secondary
10.Describe your academic and non-academic path to your profession (the more detail the better!)
– Did one year of first-year sciences, applied for the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences at UBC, got the interview and was accepted, then completed the 4 year pharmacy program (nowadays, you need to do two years of sciences before applying). While going to school, I did some volunteering at Shoppers Drug Mart and eventually landed a part-time pharmacy assistant job on the weekends for lunch money 🙂 and make school easier.
11. What do you like to do for fun?
– Hockey, snowboarding, playing with my daughter, and travelling the world
12. Favourite hockey team or proudest Canadian thing?
– Vancouver Canucks, of course!
13. If you could go back in time, what advice would you give your younger highschool self?
– Getting good grades is nice for your knowledge and career development but the friends you make in highschool are just as important to help you get through life. Work hard and play hard balance is key.
14. If you are okay to be contacted by students, what contact would you be okay to leave to communicate with you? (ie. email, work number, etc.)
May I contact you with questions?
-Sure! Shoot an e-mail to email@example.com with the subject line “Contact: (full name)” and your question.
(Responses may take some time.)
-Sorry, not at this time.
To editor: please remember to:
1. set a post featured image (done from dashboard -> posts -> set featured image -> use mentor’s profile photo)
2. set tags for search function (done from dashboard -> posts -> set tags)